Adam L. Holtzman, MD, has disclosed that he has no relevant financial relationships. No one else in a position to control content has any financial relationships to disclose.Conflict of interest information for the CME Advisory Committee members can be found on the following website: https://cme.ufl.edu/disclosure
Release Date: February 25, 2021
Expiration Date: February 25, 2022
Target Audience: This course is intended for an audience of specialty physicians, primary care physicians, physician assistants, nurses, as well as others who treat patients with sarcomas.
As a result of participation in this activity, participants should be able to:
- Define proton therapy and describe how proton therapy is different from conventional radiation therapy.
- Identify and determine the theoretical advantages to the use of proton therapy in the treatment of sarcomas, specifically chordomas and chondrosarcomas.
- Discuss best practices of proton therapy for sarcomas based on current research.
Requirements for successful completion: Certificates are awarded upon successful completion (80% proficiency) of the post-test.
Accreditation: The University of Florida College of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit: The University of Florida College of Medicine designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Resource(s) for further study:
- Holtzman, A.L., Rotondo, R.L., Rutenberg, M.S. et al. Proton therapy for skull-base chondrosarcoma, a single-institution outcomes study. J Neurooncol 142, 557–563 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11060-019-03129-8
- Srivastava A, Vischioni B, Fiore MR, et al. Quality of life in patients with chordomas/chondrosarcomas during treatment with proton beam therapy. J Radiat Res. 2013;54 Suppl 1(Suppl 1):i43-i48. doi:10.1093/jrr/rrt057
- Mercado CE, Holtzman AL, Rotondo R, Rutenberg MS, Mendenhall WM. Proton therapy for skull base tumors: A review of clinical outcomes for chordomas and chondrosarcomas. Head Neck. 2019;41(2):536-541. doi:10.1002/hed.25479
[LINK TO CME VIDEO]
[LINK TO POST TEST]
For additional information, please contact Christina Mershell at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 904-831-4034.