Ofelia Alvarez, MD
Professor of Clinical Pediatrics & Director, Pediatric Sickle Cell Program
Department of Pediatrics, University of Miami
Faculty Disclosure: Ofelia Alvarez, MD has disclosed that she was a consultant for Forma Therapeutics and Global Blood Therapeutics in the last 24 months. The relationships have since ended. No one else in a position to control content has any financial relationships to disclose. Conflict of interest information for the CME Advisory Committee members can be found on the following website: https://cme.ufl.edu/disclosure/. All relevant financial relationships have been mitigated.
Release Date: November 1, 2021
Expiration Date: October 31, 2022
Target Audience: Primary Care Physicians, Specialty Physicians, Physician Assistants, Nurses, Pharmacists
As a result of participation in this activity, participants should be able to:
- Discuss the NHLBI sickle cell guidelines and other updated guidelines proposed by the American Society of Hematology (with emphasis on recommendations for adults and adolescents with SCD) including pain management.
- Review the use of hydroxyurea and other newer medications in the management of SCD.
- Learn what resources are available to help with the care of sickle cell patients.
Requirements for successful completion: Certificates are awarded upon successful completion (80% proficiency) of the post-test.
Accreditation: The University of Florida College of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Credit: The University of Florida College of Medicine designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Resource(s) for further study:
- http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines Expert panel report, Evidence-based management of sickle cell disease, 2014 (electronic version)
- Yawn BP, Buchanan GR, Afenyi-Annan AN, et al. Management of sickle cell disease: summary of the 2014 evidence-based report by expert panel members. JAMA. 2014; 312 (10): 1033-1048 (paper summary version)
- Brandow AM, Carroll CP, Creary S, et al. American Society of Hematology 2020 guidelines for sickle cell disease: management of acute and chronic pain. Blood Adv. 2020 Jun 23: 4(12): 2656-2701.
- Liem RI, Lanzkron S, Coates T, et al. American Society of Hematology 2019 guidelines for sickle cell disease: cardiopulmonary and kidney disease. Blood Adv. 2019 Dec 10; 3(23): 3867-3897.
For additional information, contact Debbie Ringdahl at 352-273-9120 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.